...and, of course, moccasins.

Thursday, April 22, 2010

On Mountains and Mennonite History

I have something hysterical to tell you. Mom, Dad, Erica, and I were riding (as in, riding in a car) on our way back from Indy Outreach. We were discussing our favorite movies, and Dad hadn't said anything yet. After awhile, he said, "I don't know...I really like my Illinois Midwest History Documentary series [I forget the exact title]."

We were all like, HAHAHAHA DAD THAT IS SO FUNNY! Then Mom said, "Girls...I think he's serious."

My dad loves history :) Here's another example:

Mom: Would any of you like to play a game tonight?

*Silence*

Mom: Oh, yeah, that's right. Fred, you'd probably enjoy reading your Mennonite history book instead [in all complete seriousness].

Unfortunately, I did not inherit my dad's love for poring over history textbooks. The only history book I love is one about America, and that's because it's about Puritans - you know, how they affected America's roots, and how they influenced documents like the Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution...Oookay, so maybe I do like history more than the average person...

...but that's the thing. Just like my friend, Kristi Stahl (who has a blog - it's krististahl.blogspot.com ), says, "Only dead fish go with the flow." It's okay to be different, whether your difference is in that you like poring over history textbooks or that you wear a different style of clothes than the rest of your school. Different is COOL. Different is so LEGIT

(the legit part is kinda an insider).

At first, this may seem completely irrelevant, but you'll see where I'm heading with this. Why is it in style to wear a humungous (sp?) mountain on the back of your head? Don't get me wrong, I think it looks really cool, but seriously. Who started this trend in the first place? I'll bet whoever it was that started the hairstyle was scorned, laughed at, misunderstood! But, hey! All the girls whose hair resembles the Appalachian mountain range have that one person to thank...the person who took a stand to wear her (or maybe even his!!!) hair in a new way...you know, the fish that went AGAINST the flow!!!!!!

On a different note, here is something amazing that my friend, Emily J. E., wrote on Facebook:

"The way I feel when I remember that I am GOD'S is INDESCRIBABLE. Sometimes I will get a little down because I don't look like a super model. But then God sends a sign, mostly through music, that reminds me WHOS I am. I am HIS and nothing can take that away from me. He loves me so very much. And I remember HE knows my NAME. HE knows my every THOUGHT. HE sees each TEAR that FALLS. And HE hears me when I CALL. I would so rather KNOW that I am his and live the life he has for me, instead of playing the worlds stupid game of who can be the thinnest and prettiest. Because that's all that is, is a game! And quite frankly I DO NOT want to play that game! I want to LIVE THE LIFE that GOD has planned for me. I'm SOOOOOO glad that God sends those signs! Love, ~Emily~"

(Emily has a blog, too - thesheteen.blogspot.com )

I think that is absolutely beautiful.

Cordially,
Lady Rachel

2 comments: